Time to air out those old saris from the back of your wardrobe and give them a new look.
Here are 15 ways you can turn your old saris (or your mum's) into a brand new outfits or accessories and glam up your wardrobe for the new year.
Old sari, new sari?
1. Fashion Designer Raakesh Agarvwaal says, "If you don't want to spoil your sari by cutting it, change the look by making the new and sexy blouse.
"Saris make a great wear during festive season, use embroidery and tassels at the end to give it a new look."
2. "Dye is a great way to change the colour of the sari," says Fashion Designer Roopa Pemmaraju.
According to her, Banarasi saris can be dyed into different colours and made into dresses, which can be worn as evening wear. Add sequins to give it a heavier look.
3. Team two cotton saris and make multiple kurtas out of it. The sari borders can be used as the sleeves, side slits and a border along the length of the kurtas.
Wear them over jeans, trousers or pedal pushers.
4. Kalidar kurtas are back in fashion so turn your silk sari into a kurta by using the pallu as the yoke and then adding the flare below it.
You can use the same fabric for the churidar or salwar. Pick a readymade chiffon duppatta from the market.
Accessories to die For
5. According to Fashion Designer Nachiket Barve, zari saris can be made into a beautiful angarkhas, which can be worn in three different ways.
"Team it with a churidaar and it will become an Indian outfit, with pants it turns into an Indo-western outfit or you can wear it by itself like a dress," he suggests.
6. If your zari sari is too long cut it short and make it into a potli bag and carry it with your sari. The borders can act as handle or a base for the bag.
7. Give yourself a Chinese look with your beautiful chiffon sari, by turning it into a robe. The robe will be comfortable yet trendy. Use your pallu to make the belt of the robe.
You will need to add cotton lining to make sure the robe falls well and also because the fabric might be a bit transparent.
8. You can also convert your precious zari borders from your Kanjeevaram saris into jewellery. A choker made of zari border will look great on a plain slim gown.
You can cut the border in to thin strips and braid you hair with it. This will add a very traditional north-Indian touch to your look.
9. Tunics are very much in trend these days and will stay for a long time. You can make two tunics in one sari.
Use the plain sari along with the border for the neck for a long tunic. And use the pallu area to make a short tunic that you can team with jeans.
10. Think you will be wasting too much fabric making a dress out of your chiffon sari? Make it a double-layered dress.
Let one layer be smaller that the other so that the layers are visible.
11. An evening gown will turn heads at the next party you attend. You don't need hunt for fabric or spend thousands on a designer gown, simply use you chiffon or crepe sari.
Use a zari border to give a belt below the bust area and let the flare fall smoothly to your heels.
A crystal brooch will add to the beauty of the gown.
12. A halter neck dress would be a sexy option for the festive season. Use the border around the neck and carry the same border as straps to tie behind the neck.
13. For an Indo-western look, get your silk sari crushed and turn it into a long flared skirt. Team it with a plain vest.
To make a matching belt, give a canvas base to the zari border, add gold or silver strings on the side and there your belt is ready!
14. Who could forget Madhuri Dixit's chiffon ghagra cholis form the movie Dil to Pagal Hai. Create the same look for your self with your chiffon saris.
Let the length of the sari be a long flared ghagra and the pallu as a spaghetti strap blouse.
15. After making dress for yourself from a sari if you have some fabric remaining make a similar outfit for your daughter. Even your one year old will look adorable in a ghagra-choli made out of a silk zari sari.
» Ways to stop/prevent stealth rock?
» nokia c1-00 lcd display ways white light blank problem solution ways jumpers
» NOKIA C3 RM-614 POWER SWITCH WAYS. PIX AND PROCEDURE HERE DONE! TRACED and TESTED KO
» Nokia C2-00 LCD Blank Display Ways Jumpers Problem Solution